History of this Special Place
named Cold Springs United Methodist Church
“150 Years of God’s Blessings”
The church is the very first place early families sought to meet and worship with their neighbors. Many of the early settlers in the region had deep roots in spiritual affairs and were not content until they found a church home. Some were instrumental in erecting the first buildings dedicated to worship, leaving behind many years of preaching in brush arbors or borrowed homes. Community history is the story of families and people who have made that sacrifice to make sure we have this wonderful community in which to live. The stories of some of those first buildings are gold in the materials in the church’s history room.
Cold Springs Campground
The clear cool spring water attracted travelers to the site of what is now Cold Springs United Methodist Church, one of the oldest established churches in Cabarrus County. The road in front of the church at that time was known as Fayetteville Road, and people of the area followed it to Fayetteville for supplies. After the railroad came through Concord and Salisbury, people from the western part of Stanly County used the old Fayetteville Road to go to Concord for their supplies. Some stopped at “Cold Springs Campground,” spent the night, went to Concord the next day, returned to the grounds, spent the night again, and returned home the third day. While travelers were at the site, they rested their horses under the trees and let them drink from the cool stream.
Cold Springs Property
On the eve of the War Between the States, October 1, 1860, Martin L. Bost and Valentine Mauney sold to Thomas J. Shinn, Jacob F. Smith, Jacob F. Faggart, Daniel Bangle, George A. Pitts, Monroe Dove, Mathias Bost, C.P. Cox, and P.B.C. Smith, as Trustees of Cold Springs Campground, 52 acres of land at a cost of $609.50 “to be held in trust that they shall erect and build or cause to be erected and built thereon a house or a place of worship for use of the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.” The acreage would prove to be ample room for a church, cemetery, and school house.
Brush Arbor / Camp Meetings
According to history records, in 1861 religious meetings were held and called “camp meetings”. Camp meetings were a fixture of religious life. To seek food for their souls, these meetings of great congregations came in wagons from the surrounding countryside in August to live in tents or crude one-room huts built out of slabs or rough planks for one or two weeks annually. People had to bring everything they needed. As attendance grew, it became apparent that a shelter was needed. An old-fashioned brush arbor was constructed, and the frame was made by using hand-hewn timbers fastened together with wooden pegs. The roof was comprised of underbrush and bushes loosely placed on the arbor, therefore, getting the name “brush arbor”. Although the brush arbor would not give complete shelter in a downpour, it would give some shelter in a mist or light rain. The air was clean, and the evening shone brightly with stars at night. The main purpose of the brush arbor, however, was to give protection from the sun. The sides of the arbor were left open to the breeze. Logs placed in parallel rows served as seats. Brush arbors were temporary structures, erected only for the summer, for revival, and for camp meetings. The voice of the preacher mingled with the free songs of the birds, the rippling of the cool springs, the neighing of horses tied in the bushes, and the cries of penitent souls.
Camp meetings were a time for spiritual renewal and were also gathering grounds where families and friends could reunite. Camp meetings were established to carry the Gospel of Christ to the masses. Camp meetings were festive affairs celebrated annually at a time when crops were laid by, thus providing a reprieve from the rigorous routine of farm life. The family farm was the predominant economic unit of the Cabarrus countryside, and families gained their livelihood from the soil. Fertile soil promoted agricultural self-sufficiency. These meetings lasted from one to two weeks and featured revival preaching day and night. Entire families came with household necessities and livestock to sustain them. They brought enough food from home to last during their stay and obtained water from the spring. Many stirring “Old Time Religion” services of worship must have been held by the people gathering here in informal meeting and fellowship. These God-seeking people were called together at the hours of worship by the blast of a hunter’s horn or bugle. Singing expressed their religion and faith and was always an important part of these services. Some of the old time favorites were: “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” “When the Roll is Called Up Yonder,” and “Amazing Grace.”
The Brush Arbor was the main place of worship until a church building (Cold Springs Church) was erected in 1868.
The same challenges of evangelism, growth and nurture of members, witness to the community and mission to the world, which were met by Methodists in earlier generations, are met with conviction and enthusiasm by those who are the heirs of that original “society of truly affectionate Christians.”
Church of 1868
Under the leadership of Rev. E. A. Lemmond, a more permanent church, a one-room white wooden frame building, was erected in 1868, and Cold Springs had their first house of worship. Most of the churches built during this time were simply detailed frame structures with gable roofs and the interior walls whitewashed. Members had a mission to build better lives and create a lasting church for themselves and those who would follow. The church was built upon rock columns, had no underpinning, and the entrance was to one side of the façade. The first house of worship was crudely built and put together by church pioneers with sweat, labor and virgin timbers. It was hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and there were few windows for ventilation. Churches were normally located wherever men and women of “the faith” settled to
build their homes, raise their children, and tend their farms. Farming and physical labor were the primary traits of trade. Thrifty farmers were not afraid of hard labor, and everyone worked and everyone benefited. The new church sat close to Cold Springs Road and faced south, near the site of the present flag pole. Although the church was rugged, the members took pride in what was theirs. The church was built by those hardy pioneers, our forefathers, whose first thought upon settling an area was a place to congregate, worship God, and give thanks for their safety and their many blessings.
The church changed its name from Cold Springs Campground to Cold Springs Church. During the early years of its existence, the church showed considerable growth. The Board of Stewards included the following Confederate veterans recently returned from the gory battlefields of the War Between the States: Jacob R. Barnhardt (12-14-1836/1-28-1926), Michael H. Lefler (4-8-1845/11-3-1896), Monroe Dove (10-24-1820/4-17-1897), Francis Smith, Henry M. Bost (12-10-1844/8-30-1908), and Wesley Cassell (12-20-1828/3-4-1897). Members bound themselves to pay varying amounts from $1.00 to $100.00 for the construction of the new church. It was not unusual for some of them to pledge lumber, days of work, and horses.
The first service was made more memorable by the astronomical witness of the total eclipse of the sun, an inspiration of the handiwork of the God of their salvation. We are thankful to the early pioneers who laid the foundation and chartered the course and the covenant of caring that enables us to offer ourselves again and again to the life and love through Jesus Christ and the church. Many family events were held, and the church served as the center of the families’ social life. After serving its members for 43 years, the winds of time had begun to play havoc with the rough cut exterior boards, which were left exposed and unprotected. This church was torn down in 1911. There is only one known picture of this church and its members.
In 1784 the Methodist movement in America became organized with the formation of the Methodist Episcopal Church at the Christmas Conference in Baltimore. In 1834, the Salisbury District was formed. Cold Springs Church was a member of the South Carolina Conference until 1869 at which time it was taken over by the North Carolina Conference. On April 23, 1968, with the unification of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, the church’s name changed from Cold Springs Methodist Church to Cold Springs United Methodist Church. The Flame and Cross logo was added in 1968.
Earthquake / Tornado
On the night of August 31, 1886, a 7.3 magnitude earthquake causing extensive damage in Charleston, SC, shook Piedmont North Carolina including the Cabarrus County area, but did not damage Cold Springs Church. At 7:00 PM on June 16, 1971, a tornado with high winds caused extensive damage to the Cold Springs the Miami Church Road vicinity. A closed airport was located beside Cold Springs Church cemetery, and the tornado demolished the hanger. The back was ripped from the hanger and part of the roof, steel beams and all, were carried 200 yards down the road. Cold Springs Road was closed due to down power lines and debris. Luckily, no damage was caused to Cold Springs Church, and no one was injured. The people of this area built good buildings that have withstood the test of time.
In the neatly kept historic cemetery across the road from the church are buried some of the founders and leaders of Cold Springs Church. Several simple slate markers show the final resting places of some of the church’s early pioneers. Their nobility of life and their Christian devotion continue in the lives of those whom they cherished. God grant that the spirit which lent to their lives the enchantment of eternal things may never perish from our midst. On March 21, 1870, John L. and Hixey Elizabeth Lawson conveyed two acres for a graveyard or burial ground to trustees of the church. The oldest marker in the church graveyard is for Sarah Little. She was born December 10, 1815, and died December 20, 1870. The steeple from the old church was moved to the cemetery and made into a prayer room. This was a project of the United Methodist Men. On June 14, 1991, Manual Kiser donated 1.16 acres to the church for cemetery use. There are 543 used plots in the cemetery with about 25 to 30 unmarked graves.
Cold Springs School
A one-room school house, called Cold Springs School, was built in 1900 and was located where the ball field is now. The stand-alone schools were almost always constructed near the church sites. Tom Ridenhour was the teacher. After reading, writing, arithmetic and spelling, can you imagine the students running and playing through the wild flowers, resting under the tall trees blowing in the breeze, and playing in the spring. Quality education and religion were closely bound together and extremely important. The early settlers stressed the importance of education and the employment of a teacher was considered important. Schools provided basic education to rural children and were built to serve local communities comprising a few square miles. Cabarrus County had over 50 schools in 1910. The children often endured hardships because of weather and labor needs on the farm at home. Cold Springs School closed around 1910 and merged with another school.
Church of 1910
The year 1910 was a landmark for Cold Springs Church. A growing congregation began to dream of a modern sanctuary to replace the frame structure which had served them so long and on which time had taken its toil. Both funds and materials were scarce, but the congregation reflected determination to proceed with the building program. In 1910 and 1911, the second 3,500 square foot church, with a balcony, was built of brick and faced north. The church had a steeple with louvered, laitance-arched ventilators, decorative gables, and a steep, pyramidal peak crowned the projecting two stage entrance. The entrance and all of the windows were lancet-arched and crowned with keystones. The windows displayed trim of flashed glass. A small, hip-roofed wing centered at the rear of the building housed the altar. The interior consisted of a vestibule, the nave, a balcony, an altar, and two choir lofts. This was an impressive brick church with a combination of Gothic Revival and late Victorian details. According to church records, a Mr. Isenhour planed the lumber and oversaw the construction. Reverend N. R. Richardson preached the first sermon in the new church on August 6, 1911. Though the salary for the minister was often low, the people were very generous with their garden produce, eggs, milk and butter, and were eager to share what they had with the minister and his family.
The first marriage in the church united Zula Cox and Claude Rinehardt right after the morning worship service.
The first funeral was that of Mary Ann Barnhardt.
For building the church, which seated 230, brick came by rail from Tennessee. The pews also came from Tennessee for a total cost of $700.50. Beautiful stained glass windows were installed. Water was hauled from the spring in a cart, and the mortar was mixed on the cart.
The preacher’s horse “Old Prince” was used to pull the cart back and forth from the spring. Bob McAllister did the brick work and Dan Krimminger was head carpenter. The following zealous members of the congregation composed the Building Committee: A.F. Lefler, J.C. Heglar, G.T. Bost, G.D. Bost, W.B. Smith, R.A. Barringer, J.L. Petrea and Frank Barnhardt. Miss Mary Ervin gave the church bell in 1912, and it is still being used today. After much hard work and personal sacrifice, the congregation, along with Rev. Richardson, assisted by the Reverend J. C. Rowe, D.D, formally dedicated the new church building on October 20, 1912. Josephine Barnhardt McEachern was the first organist. She was so small that her grandfather had to help her onto the organ stool.
When the 1911-1912 church was built, there was not enough money to build Sunday School Classrooms, therefore, Sunday School was held in the sanctuary. Two classes were held in the balcony and two down front in the sanctuary. In Sunday School, children were given small picture cards pertaining to the lesson with a memory verse and text on the back. Records indicate that the men and women entered the church and sat on different sides.
The early church placed great emphasis on Christian fellowship and unity of mind and spirit. This is not to say that the members always agreed about everything, but even in their disagreements, they still loved one another and their Lord. Because of this love and the presence of the Holy Spirit, they could overcome all things. Today, members of Cold Springs United Methodist Church are still called to this kind of love, concern, fellowship, and unity.
The church was heated by two cast iron wood-burning stoves. Two men sat down front on each side on two small pews to keep wood in the stove during church services, Hal Rinehardt on the left and Russell Fink on the right. Kerosene lamps with reflectors on the backs lit the sanctuary while the preacher delivered the “word” from a pulpit. The choirs were located to the preacher’s left and right. In 1935, members wanted electricity and petitioned the Water & Light Office. The office would not furnish the electricity unless the church furnished the poles. Holes for the poles were dug in mid December 1935, and electricity was turned on in the church in late December 1935. Electricity -- that was a happy day! Can you imagine proudly screwing in the first light bulbs in the new fixtures. As time passed, growth and improvements were made, and in 1957, the ceilings were lowered, new lights were added, and in 1958 new pulpit furniture was added. The church was fortunate to get air conditioning in 1969. Before air conditioning, members used hand-held fans made of card stock with a simple wooden handle which featured a printed scene of faith on one side and the name of a local business on the other to keep cool and fight off the wasps. The wasps survived all kinds of insecticides, and the balcony was a war zone.
The Cold Springs area was known for the Farmers’ Picnics that were usually held around July 4th. There was a merry-go-round brought in for the children and set up by the spring.
Note: There is a picture in the History Room showing a horse, wagon, and people traveling through Mt. Pleasant on their way to the picnic. Each year, before revival, homecomings, picnics, etc., people from the church would meet at the cemetery to clean with rakes and hoes and to sow grass. It was said that some of the older men would clean their plots and then disappear to the spring to socialize until they were sure all the work was completed.
Sunday School Classrooms
For a number of years, the congregation had seen the need for a Sunday School building and had been raising the means. In 1937 the trustees were authorized to proceed in a building campaign. With $1,400 in cash, the Building Committee began to lay further plans and with the assurance of the trustees of the Duke Endowment, actual construction of a modern, three story education building began.
The new Sunday School rooms (East Wing) were completed in 1938 for a total cost of $7000. A saw mill was set up where the parsonage is now, and all the timber was sawed for the addition. Members of the trustees who also comprised of the Building Committee were: A.F. Lefler, O.A. Swaringen, S.R. McEachern, R.A. Barringer, Joe H. Bost, Hal Rinehardt, and Homer R. Smith. These men with the assistance of the membership of the entire congregation went forward in a splendid way and the new building was rushed to completion. This was paid for primarily with money earned from the Cold Springs eating booth at the Cabarrus County Fair. Homer R. Smith and Rutledge McEachern headed this up. Many home-cooked meals and much hard work were part of that project. It was furnished and free of debt, and the cornerstone was laid during Homecoming on July 31, 1938. For additional Sunday School space, the West Wing was added in 1951 and built by Wood Furr. Sunday School has always been an important part of this church. The handicapped ramp on the West Wing was added February 2001.
On January 27, 1952 and during the ministry of Rev. Eugene A. Lamb, members voted to build a church parsonage which was completed in 1954 at a cost of $13,418.02. Mr. M. Black was the builder. Members donated logs and Lipe Heintz and Carl Heintz set up a saw mill to dress the lumber in the front yard of the parsonage. A saw mill was set up to plane the lumber. On Homecoming Day July 29, 1956, $1229 was still owed on the parsonage and members had a motto “1229 by July 29”. With God’s help, members were able to raise enough money to pay off the parsonage debt on Homecoming Day July 29, 1956. The parsonage was dedicated on November 4, 1956 as “the home of present and future pastors and their families.” District Superintendent the Rev. Paul W. Townsend assisted with the dedication. Rev. Lamb and his family was the first pastor to live in the parsonage. The parsonage has two stories and is made of brick with a full basement. There are four bedrooms, two baths, a study, kitchen, living room, den, dining room, and utility room. Several “Open Houses” have been held at the parsonage.
During the pastorate of Rev. Jack C. Smith, a Fellowship Hall was built in 1958 and dedicated November 1, 1959. The Fellowship Hall was used for the first time on November 2 for a church Loyalty Dinner. This fellowship hall served its members and community for 50 years. What stories the walls of the old fellowship hall could tell if they could talk. They could tell of good food and good times, birthday parties, family reunions, wedding receptions and church dinners. They would tell of people working together at the annual barbeque or when the church dreamed dreams that came to reality.
After the new Krimminger Hall was built, Hillary Brooke Fearrington decided as her Girl Scout Gold Project, with the approval of the Administrative Council, to renovate the interior of the old fellowship hall by turning it into new staff offices and a youth room. This project was started in March 2009 and dedicated December 20, 2009. Cost of the project was $22,000 in materials, and more than 250 man hours, mostly volunteers. Hillary raised $2700 of this amount with the balance coming from members, family, friends, and various organizations of the church.
Mt. Pleasant Circuit
Cold Springs was in the Mt. Pleasant Circuit (Mt. Pleasant, Cold Springs, Friendship, Centergrove and St. Paul’s Churches) and had thirty five preachers before becoming a station church. In those days the five churches had only one or two services per month and would alternate their night services. Rev. G. W. Clay was the last preacher to have all five churches. The following pastors served three churches (Mt. Pleasant, Cold Springs and Friendship): H. L. Creech, Jr., Lester S. Furr, Clegg W. Avett and Eugene A. Lamb. Cold Springs was entering into a new period of growth and leadership and became a station church during the 1955 Annual Conference. Reverend Jack C. Smith was the first full-time pastor.
Cold Springs Ministers
Cold Springs’ roots go deep in the lives of those it has touched through its outreach endeavors, its missionary visions, its evangelistic thrusts, and its willingness to serve the people in the community. The following gifted ministers of the gospel have gone out from this historical church into the ministry: Z.E. Barnhardt, J.H. Barnhardt, C.C. Barnhardt, P.W. Tucker, J.L. Smith, B.W. Lefler, C.M. Barnhardt, Grady Barringer, Terry L. Hammill, Gary Barnhardt, Rick Barnhardt, Howard Floyd, Art Aldridge, Joy Aldridge Tarlton, Roxane Almond, and Joe DeWitte.
Some of the family names of early membership at Cold Springs included Barringer, Talley, Heintz, Bost, Barnhardt, and Hess. Many family names still appear on the present day church roll of historic Cold Springs Church. There is a story that when Rev. G. A. Stamper was pastor from 1914 to 1917 and served Cold Springs, Mt. Pleasant, Center Grove, Friendship, and St. Paul‘s, he was never late for a service, summer or winter, and made his rounds with a faithful horse and buggy.
The first Cold Springs Barbecue was held in 1954 and continues to be an annual event the fourth Saturday in October. During the first four years, the event was held in the basement of the church on the East side which housed the kitchen and dining room. For additional eating space, tables were set up in some of the Sunday School Classrooms. A new barbecue pit was built in August 1989, but it had to be repaired before the October barbecue because of damage from Hurricane Hugo on September 22, 1989. A new brunswick stew pit was built in October 1996, and an addition was added in October 1999.
Memories of Cold Springs Barbecue as relayed by Emma Fink, interviewed by Barbara Bost on August 12, 2003:
In earlier days, the Annual BBQ/Brunswick was held two days, Friday and Saturday. Before the Fellowship Hall was built, it was held in the basement of the church on the East side which housed the kitchen and dining room. Tables were also set up in Sunday School Classrooms for serving. My husband, Russell Fink, was chairman of the Barbecue/Brunswick Stew from 1961 through 1976.
Back in the 1950’s, members of the church, including Orlando Barnhardt and Russell Fink, would give chickens they raised for the brunswick stew and chicken salad. Yes, we made and sold chicken salad. At the church, the chickens were picked, cleaned, and cooked. Some ladies cooked chickens at home and brought meat, without skin, livers and gizzards, back to the church. Members would also raise and give a cleaned hog for the barbeque. We also cooked butter beans at home and brought them back to church for the stew. I remember Luther Allman and Henry Barnhardt hauling the stew and barbeque back and forth from the pits to the fellowship hall in the back of a truck. In earlier days, stew sold for $1.00 per quart and everyone had to bring their own containers. There was no place to keep leftovers, so we tried to sell it all by the end of the last day. It took one half day to peel, cut, and grind (with sausage mill) the onions. Tom Hess was in charge of the onions. The smell was so bad that the back door was propped open so air could come in. Your skin would smell like onions for days.
Kitty Poplin, Lucille Kindley, and Hal Rinehardt (2 sisters and brother) made hog mush to be sold.
Two pots of stew were cooked under a shelter and other pots were cooked outside. One day it rained so hard that the men put up tents to cook under and it was very, very smoky. Lucille Kindley was in charge of stew making for a number of years, but one year she had to be away and I was in charge for the next 16 years. Sometimes the men would go to sleep while stirring the stew, and I would just tap their paddles and they would wake up and start stirring again.
We had to make our own hot water in black pots. Members would bring old cut up sheets to use as dish cloths. These rags were also used as pot holders. At the end of the day, the rags would be put in the fire and burned. There were no paper towels in the early days of the barbeque. We also had to bring our own utensils to work with as well as pots and pans.
We had all kinds of weather. Some days it was hot, and we had trouble keeping the flies away. On several occasions, we had freezing weather, and sometimes in the fall the leaves would blow in the stew, and we had to fish them out.
I remember one time Mr. Corum Miller from Concord came and wanted to buy some brunswick stew, but it was not finished cooking. He persuaded us to sell him some, and he promised to take it home and finish cooking the stew. Barbeque sandwiches were made under a tent before the nice shelter was built. Long time member and teacher, Pearle Barringer, was in charge of sandwich making for years.
When Russell and I had a garden, I canned gallons and gallons of dill pickles and donated them to this special event. I also made six Burnt-Sugar cakes each year.
Because of failing health, I have not been able attend the Barbeque/Brunswick Stew for a number of years, but it is my hope that this year I will be able to come and see all the changes that have been made. ~~ Emma Fink (1-11-18 / 11-7-09)
Cold Springs celebrated Bicentennial Sunday June 27, 1976. The theme was “The Nation Yet to Be,” and U.S. Congressman Bill Hefner presented a US Flag to the church which is on display in the History Room. Members dressed in period clothing. Pictures, clippings, etc. are also in the History Room.
Church Road Sign
The church sign in front of the church was a project of the Emma Fink Sunday School Class in 1976. Broome Sign Company did the lettering and installed them. On June 23, 1976, Bicentennial Sunday, a “Time Capsule” was buried near the sign on the road side. Items in the capsule include Emma Fink Sunday School Class Roll, Church Bulletin, Bicentennial Quarter, etc. According to records, the capsule will be dug up 100 years from 1976.
Cold Springs United Methodist Church derived its name from the flourishing springs found in the woods in back of the church. During early years, the springs furnished cool, refreshing drink for the weary travelers and worshipers. The springs still flow, and the water can still be just as cool and refreshing. Long time member Bill Krimminger checked the water flow and found that the spring furnishes six gallons of water per minute. Renovation of the original spring was done by the United Methodist Men in 1977. A shelter next to the spring was built and dedicated to John Kimray on October 27, 1996. This was a project of the United Methodist Men.
In December 1980, the first edition of “The Fountain,” a church newsletter, was published under the direction of Rev. Rick W. Mills. The newsletter was named in honor of the cool springs at the bottom of the hill behind the church. “The Fountain” continues to be very informative, and members look forward to receiving it each month.
For many years the secretarial duties of the church were done voluntarily. In January of 1982, the church hired its first part-time secretary.
New Church ~ “Share the Vision”
In early 1988 under the leadership of Pastor Harry Queen, the Cold Springs United Methodist Church Administrative Board appointed a Building Committee to research the need for Cold Springs ministries and to make preliminary plans to present to the Board and Charge Conference. Members of the Building Committee were: Troy Barnhardt, Chairperson; Bill Krimminger, Vice-Chairperson; Barbara Bost, Secretary and Treasurer; Connie Bowers, Evelyn Campbell, Marvin DeWitte, Annette Hammill, Sarah Honeycutt, John Jones, Todd Long, Frank Walter, and Rev. Harry Queen, Ex-Officio. This committee developed a long-range plan to replace the existing sanctuary which seated 230. The sanctuary was old and deteriorated to the degree that, for safety reasons, it needed to be replaced. Membership had increased, and it was necessary to have larger facilities. It was also felt that the larger sanctuary was necessary in order to better serve God and increasingly minister to the needs of boys and girls, middle age, and senior citizens of the church and community.
On May 21, 1989, the congregation of Cold Springs United Methodist Church voted unanimously to build a new 14,200 square foot 478-seat sanctuary/office complex/classrooms as proposed on the preliminary drawings and presented by the Building Committee. A Total of 227 members voted with 209 voting yes and 18 voting no. The committee counting votes consisted of: Carol Barnhardt, President United Methodist Women; A.L. Maxwell, President United Methodist Men; Howard Floyd, Chairperson of the Administrative Board; and Rev. Harry Queen. The Building Committee worked very closely with Architect Fred L. Williams of Lexington to develop detailed plans for the new structure. The theme for the Cold Springs United Methodist Church Building Program was “Share the Vision.”
A Commitment Sunday was held on September 10, 1989, and $450,000 was committed by members toward the goal of $817,000. Myler Church Building Systems (George Sewell) was contracted to build the new church. Other sources of income were Duke Endowment, $60,000; Salisbury District Mission Society, $19,000; Cannon Foundation, $10,000; Cold Springs Church Regular Account, $50,000; Cold Springs Church Barbecue Fund, $10,000; and various fund raising events. The church borrowed a little over $300,000 from Wachovia Bank.
On September 22, 1989, Hurricane Hugo blew 70-mile an hour winds through Cabarrus County. Although members had voted to replace the church building, they were thankful that the old church had once again withstood the test of time and nature; however, most of the huge oak trees around the front of the church were lost (some were 100+ years). Members marveled at the fact that the trees in the front had all fallen away from the church. People met at the church with chain saws and tractors on Saturday, September 23, and cleared the many oak trees so that parking would be available for Sunday church services. The power was out in sections of the county for up to two weeks. A path was cleared to the spring, and for many people the spring provided all of their water for days. The path stayed busy with people from the church and community bringing containers to fill with water.
Girl and Boy Scout Program
For many years Cold Springs Church is identified as having a strong Boy and Girl Scout Program. Under the leadership of Scoutmaster Orlando Barnhardt, a Boy Scout Hut was built in 1955 by scouts, leaders, and parents. After Hurricane Hugo demolished the old Boy Scout Hut in September 1989, a new Boy/Girl Scout Complex was built with all volunteer help and donations. The cost was around $32,000 with an estimated replacement cost of $100,000. The Scout Complex was dedicated on November 18, 1990. The Boy Scout section was dedicated in memory of W. O. Barnhardt, Sr. and in honor of his wife Mae Barnhardt and the Girl Scout section in honor of Darrell Long.
Scouting has a proud tradition in the congregation with countless young people and many adult leaders involved. Scouting offers an incredible outreach program among youth. On September 5, 2010, the Girl Scout Hut was re-consecrated. Kelby Hurlocker refurbished the Girl Scout Hut as her Girl Scout Gold Project and for God‘s glory and for use in guiding, encouraging, and training girls through the Girl Scout Program.
Note: Cold Springs Boy Scout Troop 5 celebrated their 50th Anniversary in Scouting July 31, 2004. The Cold Springs Girl Scouts celebrated their 50th Anniversary in Scouting March 9, 2008.
Thanks to all our Boy Scout and Girl Scout leaders who made a difference in the lives of young men and women and the dedication of Cold Springs Church in knowing the value of scouting ministries.
Old Church Auction
A “Church Auction” was held on May 19, 1990, and the final service in the old church and the “Stripping of the Old Sanctuary” was held on May 20. Groundbreaking for the new sanctuary, with plans to seat 478, was held Sunday, June 3. Demolition began June 4. The church of 1911 served the congregation as a house of worship for about 80 years and left behind many memories of baptisms, weddings and funerals performed there. Many of the items in the old sanctuary were auctioned off. However, the pulpit and other altar furniture are being used in the current church, and the old steeple was moved to the cemetery for a prayer room. The prayer room doors and stained glass windows are from the old church. Because the decision was made to build the new church on the same site as the old church, arrangements were made to worship in the fellowship hall while the new church was being built. Two services were held each Sunday to accommodate the congregation.
The cost of the new sanctuary, office, pastor’s study, bride’s room, choir room, conference room and some second floor Sunday School rooms was $939,056.83, and it was paid in full August 29, 1994. Dedication was held Sunday, January 29,1995, and the mortgage was burned. Rev. Mack M. Armstrong was the pastor. In the new facilities, as in the old, continued efforts are made to involve children, young people, and adults in a wide variety of church activities. It took a lot of faith in God and a lot of dedication for God’s work to be accomplished. As you stand and look at the church and the old cemetery nearby, there is a feeling of closeness to God and a great admiration for those who worked so hard to build this house of worship. God reached out and touched the people of Cold Springs United Methodist Church in helping to reach goals, determination and faith. God has given us a church where we can come and receive grace and blessings.
Stained Glass Windows
Fifteen windows were purchased from Laws Stained Glass Studios, Inc. of Statesville, NC at a cost of $2,000 each. The windows depict - 1) Annunciation, 2) Nativity, 3) Boy in the Temple, 4) Baptism, 5) Sermon on the Mount, 6) Woman at the Well, 7) Walking on the Water, 8) Jesus, Mary & Martha, 9) Blessing the Children, 10) Trial Before Pilate, 11) Crucifixion, 12) Angel at the Tomb, 13) Resurrection, 14) Ascension, and 15) Garden of Gethsemane (round window)
Thirty-nine pews were purchased from Virginia Church Furniture at a cost of $750.00 each.
A plaque is on display in the church narthex giving the names of the donors of windows and pews. They also give the names of those persons being honored or remembered.
First Service/Formal Opening
The handsome interior details of Cold Springs reflect the fine execution of the exterior finish. The sanctuary includes stained glass windows, two raised choir lofts, and fine pews.
The steeple, eaves and rakes are boxed enclosed. The predominant entry has Tuscan columns, and the exterior corners of the church have quoins. The choir loft, pulpit, altar, and baptismal font are constructed of hardwoods.
The formal opening and first service led by Rev. Harry Queen, communion, and the laying of the cornerstone was held on June 23, 1991. The sanctuary was filled to capacity. The cornerstone was given by Ray and Barbara Bost in honor of their daughters Amy and Susan. Bill and Vergie Krimminger donated the tube which contains:
- Map of Property of Cold Springs United Methodist Church (prepared by Attorney John Sharpe Hartsell 1973).
- Survey of Property of Cold Springs United Methodist Church (prepared by Concord Engineering & Surveying, Inc. of Concord; July 1990)
- Copy of Deeds showing land transfer beginning 1959 up to June 14, 1991 (new one acre tract for cemetery)
- Church Officers for 1991 - Church Budget for 1991
- Church History as prepared by History Committee
- Membership Roll as of June 1991
- Cut Nail Cross made from nails in Old Church
- Pictures of the Old Church
- Upper Room Book
- Brochure about Cold Springs United Methodist Church
- 1990 One Dollar Bill
- Bulletins: 1-28-45, 2-26-50, 5-22-55, 2-06-55, 12-04-60, 6-20-65, 3-29-70, 6-27-76, 11-30-80, 2-03-85, 4-29-90, 6-23-91
- 1977 Church Directory and 1985 Church Directory
- Share The Vision Campaign Letter
- Building Fund Disbursements as of 5-31-91
- Registration of Attendance 6-23-91
The first wedding in the new church was that of Miss Leslie Eudy Kluttz and Don Robert Gray, Jr. and was held June 23, 1991.
The first baptism was that of Sara Ann Gainey on June 23, 1991.
The first funeral service was held for Helen Petrea Langston on July 27, 1991.
The following people joined the church during the first service in the new church: Phoebe Talley, Brooke, Susan and John Caton, Leslie Bowers, Bryan Floyd, Kristy Allmon, Shanna Cochrane and Ryan Culnon.
As of June 1991, Cold Springs United Methodist Church had an enrollment of 500 members with 275 very active.
As of June 23, 1991:
Pastor: Harry Queen
Organist: Vicky Floyd
Pianist: Connie Bowers
Chancel Choir Director: John Cafferty
Youth Choir Director: Connie Bowers
Cherub Choir Leader: Shirley Hurlocker
Senior MYF Leaders: Darrell and Brenda Long, Bobby and Annette Hammill, Lee and Jannette Kluttz
Junior MYF Leaders: Scott and Susan Fearrington, Alvin and Shirley Hurlocker, Mike and Clara Culnon
United Meth. Women: Sarah Honeycutt, President
United Meth. Men: John J. Jones, President
Church Lay Leader: Troy Barnhardt
Administrative Board: Bill Krimminger, Chairperson
The Cold Springs United Methodist Church Men’s Ensemble was formed during the 1997 Easter Cantata with Douglas Almond as the director. One of the songs of that cantata required only the men to sing, and they enjoyed the experience so much that Wednesday nights quickly became a regular time of practice and prayer for members of the group. They sing at churches of all denominations, festivals, and gatherings of all kinds. When they sing, it is always a time of worship. In June 2005, the Men’s Ensemble made 2,000 CD’s entitled “We Follow the Man” which was the original song from the Easter Cantata. The group raised $4,000 in two weeks to pay for the CD’s which were given away free of charge. The response was so great that another 1,000 copies were made in August and paid for from donations. A quote from the Men’s Ensemble: “Hopefully, in listening to this CD, the joy, grace, light, and love of Jesus will find your soul.”
Foreign and local mission projects have always been a priority of Cold Springs United Methodist Church. Members of the congregation have helped build churches, Sunday School classrooms, Habitat Houses, roofed homes, built handicapped ramps, locally and in other countries. Sometimes the work has been very difficult in the heat and humidity, but the men and women are extremely proud of what they have accomplished and feel the mission trips are an especially fulfilling effort for the Lord’s work. As the Lord’s work is carried out locally and around the world, Cold Springs Church stands as a witness to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Vacation Bible School
There are no records indicating when Vacation Bible School first started at Cold Springs, but Aaron Misenheimer and Luther Maxwell remember attending in the early 1940’s. Some of the older members remember when Miss Pearle Barringer went around the community and picked up children for this week long event. She carried so many children that her two sons, Grady and Ned, rode on the fenders. When Miss Pearle arrived at church for the morning VBS, her car “The Blue Goose” which was nicknamed by the children, was literally packed with kids who came to learn about Jesus. With this busing service, there was lots of chatter among the occupants. Adults still talk about these good times with Miss Pearle and her car “The Blue Goose.” Mae Barnhardt also did carpooling and brought a load of children from the community. In these early years, Mr. Oliver Swaringen (Evelyn Campbell’s father) served ice cream on Friday at the close of VBS. In June 1984, Cold Springs started having Bible School in the evenings instead of mornings because so many of the teachers worked during the day. Vacation Bible School is still enjoyed today by the children of the church and community who come to study, memorize scripture, use arts and crafts, enjoy music and storytelling, learn about friendship, love, and God’s plan for everyone.
Do you remember the old-fashioned church homecoming? Special singing, dinner on the grounds, and what a dinner it always was. According to records, the first homecoming at Cold Springs Church was held in August 1861. Homecoming has always been a very special day when members and former members return to rekindle old memories. Homecoming is a day focused on family and friends. Special music is an important part of the service. It is a chance to look at the past, present, and future. An invited preacher from another church or a past preacher, delivers the message. Annual homecoming festivities have traditionally been held during the months of July or August. These events have always been special times of celebration and fellowship. In earlier years, the congregation reassembled in the church for an afternoon service. The earliest church bulletin on record in the History Room is dated July 5, 1931. This was a Homecoming Service bulletin and Rev. Paul N. Garber from Duke University was speaker. His topic was “Romance of American Methodism.” The afternoon service was conducted by Rev. W. T. Albright who was Cold Springs Church’s pastor from 1921-1923, Dr. J. H. Barnhardt, and Rev. B. W. Lefler. Not much went on around the church in earlier years during the week because farm families worked from daylight to dusk, so homecoming was a highlight of the year. Homecoming causes us to recognize the familiar faces of those who have journeyed alongside us for many years. Homecoming helps us appreciate the many faces, both new and familiar, that are among us and allows us the privilege to make a new friend or renew an old acquaintance.
We all look forward to another homecoming one day soon, or sooner. We’re going to homecoming in heaven. It matters not whether we go through the door of death or take the ride called the rapture. It only matters that when we arrive on the other side, we are forever with our Saviour. Church homecomings seem symbolic of the final homecoming planned for Christians.
Dinner on the Grounds
In earlier years for homecoming, tables were set up outdoors under the shade of the big oak trees in the church yard. Ladies of the congregation brought food and kept it in cloth-covered baskets until it was set on the tables for the “dinner on the grounds.” Dishes were set on long sturdy tables fashioned out of boards, sawhorses, and chicken wire. Fried chicken, home-cured ham, deviled eggs, bowls of potato salad, and all kinds of vegetables were enjoyed. Of course, lots of delicious desserts were available. The food was enjoyed in the hot sunshine while battling the gnats and flies. These meals were held immediately after homecoming church services. Do you remember “Dinner on the Ground” when Jesus fed 5,000 people? We lovingly remember those who have broken bread with us in the past and who still inspire us today. In recent years, members and guests have enjoyed homecoming dinner in the comfort of the air conditioned Fellowship Hall. Men, women, and children enjoyed this mouth watering experience. Some of the old recipes are in the last printed church cookbook entitled “Past, Present & Future - Bountiful Blessings Cookbook”. This cookbook was put together by the church youth in 2003.
New Fellowship Hall (Krimminger Hall)
In 1998, during the ministry of Rev. Bill Gerhardt, a Building Committee was formed with the following purpose: “With God’s help, to expand the facilities at Cold Springs United Methodist Church to fit the needs of the congregation.” In late 2004, the firm of ADW Architects was hired to work with the committee and members to develop a master plan and decide on long term and immediate facility needs. In early 2005, a series of three meetings was held in order to get input from members on their interests and ideas. ADW Architects worked with the committee to facilitate the final plan. The Building Committee: Scott Fearrington, Chairperson; Bill Krimminger, Vice Chairperson; Cathy Newsome, Secretary; Shirley Hurlocker, Darrell Long, Leon Talley, Sandra Hurlocker, Bill Barnhardt, Phil Bryant, Aaron Misenheimer, Dennis Patterson, and Rev. Randy L. Wall. Groundbreaking for the new Fellowship Hall was held August 3, 2008, and Consecration Sunday was held April 26, 2009. Cost of Krimminger Hall was $1,300,000.
Parish Nurse Program
On May 1, 2000, Cold Springs was fortunate to have its first part-time Parish Nurse Sharon Protheroe. Mrs. Protheroe left November 2003, and Parish Nurse Lynn Emerson was hired May 2004. Mrs. Emerson left April 2006 and the church formed a Health Cabinet to fill the needs of the congregation with Jerry Owens serving as a volunteer Parish Nurse. The purpose of the Parish Nurse Program is to promote health awareness within the church congregation.
In March 2004, the Council on Ministries adopted a new church mission statement: “Reaching Up, Reaching Out, Loving God, Loving Others.” This mission statement nicely sums up what we strive to accomplish with our ministry at Cold Springs United Methodist Church. Members strongly believe in worship, missions, evangelism, discipleship, ministry, and fellowship.
A new children’s playground, located behind the church, was dedicated on June 6, 2004. Total cost was $25,000 which includes playground equipment, fence, and mulch. A marker at the playground reads: “Dedicated to all teachers of children - past, present and future.”
The music program of the church has been greatly enhanced through the years, and in April 2005, a contemporary praise band was formed and began participating in worship services, under the inspiration and dedication of Jerry Owens. A large number of members and a sound and video team make up this band. Their purpose is “to seek to worship God with music that is uplifting with a desire to lift up the name of Jesus and to unite the hearts of the people in praise to our Lord, that others may be encouraged to develop a relationship with our Savior, Jesus Christ.” Other groups consist of Stick Kids, Hand Bells, Chancel Choir, Ladies’ Ensemble, Men’s Ensemble, etc. It is the belief that music is an essential part of church and worship services.
United Methodist Women (UMW) and United Methodist Men (UMM)
The mission as a church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, then reviving and renewing men’s relationships with Jesus Christ as a vital part of that ministry. The Cold Springs United Methodist Men fulfill this mission. United Methodist Men have many gifts to offer to the ministry of the church and the community. They have built handicapped ramps, helped build Habitat Houses, roofed homes, etc. Many United Methodist Men join the Mission Building Team to help rebuild churches and schools in other countries. Locally they support the boy scouting program at Cold Springs and have been long-time leaders at Cold Springs. One of their main goals is helping others, and that is the essential definition of missions. They are very involved and touch so many lives in the community and beyond. Most of their work is not reported, but is done quietly, and without the need or desire for reward or recognition.
One of their big projects, which started in 2001, is the preparing of a Community Breakfast on the first Saturday of each month which started in 2001. The kitchen crew arrives by 5:00 AM and from 6:30 until 10:00 AM, the hall is full of customers ready for a hardy breakfast. The United Methodist Men, assisted by the United Methodist Women, serve an average of 375 monthly. This is considered a “No diets allowed morning.” For the 150th Anniversary of Cold Springs the UMM prepared a complimentary breakfast for the “150th Celebration/Kick-Off Breakfast” on Sunday, January 2, 2011.
The United Methodist Men meet monthly on the first Sunday evening.
Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF)
History records do not indicate how long the Cold Springs MYF has been in existence, but they have been around for quite some time. Here is a quote from the November 20, 1955 church bulletin: “The MYF Christian Witness Mission will meet this afternoon at 3:00 PM. The purpose of the mission is to bring other young people into our MYF that they may know Christ better.”
Every Sunday afternoon the youth gather in their new Youth Room for their meetings. They meet in two sessions, the Junior Highs and Senior Highs, and elect their own officers. These weekly meetings are the backbone of the youth ministry of Cold Springs. MYF is an opportunity for the youth to come together for a time of fun, fellowship, and service. This is in addition to their regular Sunday School gatherings.
They are an active bunch, and there is always something going on. The youth reach out to others through missions and service. They come together in an environment for worship and spiritual development and are involved in many activities in the church and community.
MYF offers the younger members of our church, and their friends, activities and fellowship with Christian influences. The youth are a vital part of Cold Springs Church.
Cold Springs has an active youth ministry that not only serves to prepare the youth for tomorrow but seeks to give guidance in today’s world.
We are thankful to those who lead our youth in the Christian way of life helping them mature and become strong enough to overcome obstacles in their paths as they see God revealed in their lives. God has blessed us with good leaders who help the youth grow in Christian character.
Some MYF activities are as follows: service projects, retreats, visit homebound, CROP, building team, Operation Christmas Child, and Christ Birthday Party. The youth are a vital part of Cold Springs United Methodist Church.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
On April 15, 2005, the church was blessed by adding to the church staff part-time Associate Pastor Mary Hatley. Pastor Hatley began full-time duties July 1, 2010.
On April 30, 2007, Cold Springs held it first Contemporary Service, with a newly formed Praise Band to offer an alternative contemporary style of worship in a casual, inviting atmosphere.
In August 2007 a Preschool Program was started with 12 students. In August 2009 the program increased to 64 students. Pam Helms is director. We believe that children are a heritage from God and we seek to love and cherish them.
Mission Statement of Cold Springs Preschool ~
In an atmosphere of Christian nurturing, Cold Springs Preschool commits itself to provide a quality early childhood education to the children and families of the congregation and surrounding communities.
Our program works in partnership with parents to meet the unique development of each child - socially, emotionally, physically, and spiritually - through a developmentally appropriate curriculum.
Cold Springs Preschool commits itself to an inclusive ministry; serving children without regard to their race, ethnicity, gender, social, economic or religious background.
Early childhood education is an important part of a child’s growing years. At Cold Springs Preschool, our goal is to help children develop at their own level, in their own way and to see themselves as unique and special creations of God.
Rural Church of the Year
On April 13, 2010, the St. John’s Lutheran Church Grange, at their Annual Awards and Recognition Banquet, honored Cold Springs with the “Rural Church of the Year Award.”
A Motorcycle Ministry was started at Cold Springs on Sunday, July 18. 2010 with the purpose of riding and fellowshipping together.
Future of Cold Springs United Methodist Church
The future of Cold Springs United Methodist Church is only as limited as the vision of its members; and, with the spirit of unity and dedication that has thus far prevailed, that vision and that future seem to be unlimited. Cold Springs has a rich heritage, thanks to those members who in the past, along with their pastors, worked hard to have a place in which to worship. Cold Springs continues to serve the community through its heritage and faith. Today, Cold Springs United Methodist Church is a strong and growing church, carrying on a full program of activities in all areas and for all ages.
The church continues to grow with a spirit of love, cooperation, and dedication. Members strive to worship God, grow in faith and love, serve the community, and make new friends. The church is not just a building or a list of programs, it’s a place where people come together “to get right with God.”
The future of Cold Springs United Methodist Church looks bright, because there are many signs of dedication, spiritual growth, and financial under-girding that strengthens the total life of the church. Today its members, with the help of its pastors, look forward to the future with great hope and determination. The church is well organized and offers an opportunity to all who wish to serve in the fields of music, teaching, visitation, working with children, youth, and the aged in Christian fellowship. Under the pastoral and lay leadership of the past, present and future, the church continues to serve the community through its heritage and faith. The people of Cold Springs United Methodist Church appreciates the sacrifice and vision of their ancestors. Among the many blessings of this great country is the fact that the Constitution guarantees that each person can worship in his own way without fear.
Cold Springs United Methodist Church continues to be a vibrant church with a very friendly atmosphere. The people are committed to worshiping God creatively, learning more about Jesus, and serving those in the community who are in need. The members believe it is important to share the good news of the Gospel, especially in accepting others unconditionally and encouraging them to become what God intended for them to be. We take seriously our calling to be followers of Jesus.
Cold Springs United Methodist Church is an open, loving, growing church committed to welcoming persons of all ages, races, life status, and beliefs, engaging all in worshiping God and in serving others while seeking to know God’s will. Cold Springs community is where people are joined together by a common bond; namely, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe we are here to serve our community. We are a caring church and continue sharing “The Old, Old Story.”
Much of the history of Cold Springs United Methodist Church has been lost to the ages, in a large part because the members were so busy making history they often failed to use enough care in recording it. It is possible that many volumes could have been written.
Throughout the years, history has continued and members of Cold Springs United Methodist Church are proud to be a part of this long and established history and dearly hold fond memories. May the church bell toll for many more years as it continues to reach out and serve the community. The church continues to stand steadfast. It was the faith of church founders that made them strong, and it is the faith of those who have followed them that has kept that strength intact. God continues to bless Cold Springs with spiritual renewals and new members to work for the up-building of His Kingdom. Even when memories are gone, the ideals and principals taught at Cold Springs will continue to have their influence upon the people of this area through the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of those who knew the church so well. Quote: “- - -Let me live according to those holy rules which Thou hast this day prescribed in Thy Holy Word - - - Direct me to the true object, Jesus Christ the Way, the Truth and the Life. Bless, O Lord, all the people of this land.” ~~ George Washington
Cold Springs United Methodist Church survived all this time because it has always been made up of people with strong morals and family values, hard-working patriotic people with deep-rooted traditions. God has blessed the people of Cold Springs United Methodist Church and it is a “Grand Old Church” with a rich history and the freedom to worship.
There is always a need for a place to hang your hat, or a place to crawl back into, or maybe just a place where you grew up. Cold Springs Church is just that - one of warmth, comfort, and well-being.
No one can visit the grounds of Cold Springs without being impressed by the natural beauty, classic scenery, and the feeling of closeness to God. The Cross and Flame on the church road marker serves as a constant reminder to all who pass of the commitment to the Risen Lord and His living presence in the world.
We are 150 years old, and we are still growing. But we don’t only celebrate the past, we embrace the future. The next 150 years promises to be very eventful and exciting.
“built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord. . .” –Ephesians 2:20-21
As people called “Methodist,” we agree to uphold the church and community through prayers, presence, gifts, and service. We are proud of this special place called Cold Springs United Methodist Church.
Barbara A. Bost, Church Historian
150th Homecoming Anniversary
August 28, 2011
Cold Springs United Methodist Church
2550 Cold Springs Road, East
Concord, NC 28025
Web site: coldspringumc.org
2011 Committee on Records and History:
|Barbara Bost, Church Historian||Betty Talley|
|Carol Barnhardt||Jim Weddington|
|Evelyn Campbell||ex Officio: Dr. Neil Haynes|
|Aaron Misenheimer||Rev. Mary Hatley|
150th Anniversary Celebration Committee:
|Barbara Bost, Church Historian||Bill Krimminger|
|Bill & Rebecca Barnhardt||Aaron & Pat Misenheimer|
|Ray Bost||Barbara Newsom|
|Evelyn Campbell||Betty Talley|
|Denny Gray||Jim Weddington|
|Tillie Heintz||Dr. Neil Haynes|
|Nancy Kluttz||Rev. Mary Hatley|
It is the hope of the Committee on Records and History and the 150th Anniversary Committee to place some of the facts of history on record that are sometimes easily forgotten or lost with time. How do we learn about what took place in church history? The answer is that people who were here wrote about it. They told their children about it. They passed on their knowledge to family and friends. Important information is handed down from generation to generation. That’s how history gets to us. We sincerely hope and trust this information will be of great value to us and our children in the years to come. We wish to thank all those people who have shared through the years their memories, newspaper articles, and pictures with us. They have been most helpful in giving a picture of Cold Springs United Methodist Church as we continue to work toward preserving this church history.
HOMECOMING SPEAKERS AT COLD SPRINGS CHURCH
|July 5, 1931||Rev. Paul N. Garber - morning service|
|Rev. B.W. Lefler, Dr. J.H. Barnhardt, Rev. W.T. Albright - afternoon service|
|July 7, 1935||Bishop Paul B. Kern of Greensboro - morning service|
|Rev. C.S. Kirkpatrick, Presiding Elder Salisbury District - afternoon service|
|July 29, 1951||Rev. H.L. Powell - morning service|
|Rev. Charles Riechard - afternoon service|
|August 31, 1952||Rev. G.W. Clay|
|August 30, 1953||Rev. H.L. Creech, Jr.|
|August 29, 1954||Rev. John J. Powell|
|July 29, 1956||Rev G.W. Clay|
|August 18, 1957||Rev. H.L. Creech Jr.|
|August 31, 1958||Rev. Glegg W. Avett|
|August 30, 1959||Rev. J.S. Gibbs, Sr.|
|July 31, 1960||Rev. B.W. Lefler|
|July 30, 1961||Rev. Russell N. Burson, Jr. (100th Homecoming)|
|July 29, 1962||Rev. Eugene A. Lamb|
|August 11, 1963||Rev. George W. Clay|
|August 30, 1964||Rev. Terry L. Hammill|
|August 29, 1965||Rev Charles E. Page|
|July 31, 1966||Rev. Grady Barringer|
|July 30, 1967||Dr. Charles E. Shannon, D.S., Salisbury District|
|July 28, 1968||Rev. Russell N. Burson, Jr.|
|August 31, 1969||Dr. Harlan L. Creech, Jr.|
|August 30, 1970||Rev. Charles E. Page|
|August 29, 1971||Rev. Giles O. Bowman|
|July 30, 1972||Dr. Douglas Reid Sasser, President of Pfeiffer College|
|July 29, 1973||Rev. George, W. Clay|
|August 25, 1974||Rev. Jack C. Smith|
|August 24, 1975||Rev. C. Marvin Boggs|
|August 29, 1976||Rev. Rick Mills|
|July 31, 1977||Rev. Giles O. Bowman, Sr.|
|July 30, 1978||Rev. Charles E. Page|
|July 29, 1979||Rev. C. Marvin Boggs|
|July 28, 1980||Rev. Grady Barringer|
|August 30, 1981||Rev. J. Paul Davenport|
|August 29, 1982||Rev. Woodrow W. pryor|
|July 31, 1983||Rev. Grady Barringer|
|July 29, 1984||Rev. Terry L. Hammill|
|September 29, 1985||Rev. Rick Mills|
|July 27, 1986||Mr. Doug Mayes (with WSOC-TV News)|
|July 26, 1987||Rev. George M. Carver|
|July 31, 1988||Rev. Giles O. Bowman, Sr.|
|July 30, 1989||Rev. J. Paul Davenport|
|July 29, 1990||Rev. Dolores Queen, D.S., Salisbury District|
|July 28, 1991||Rev. Woodrow W. Pryor|
|July 26, 1992||Rev. Jack C. Smith|
|July 25, 1993||Rev. Charles E. Page|
|September 25, 1994||Rev. Rick Mills|
|September 24, 1995||Rev. Grady Barringer|
|September 29, 1996||Rev. Russell N. Burson, Jr.|
|August 31, 1997||Rev. Bill Gerhardt|
|August 30, 1998||Rev. Harry Queen|
|August 29, 1999||Rev. J. Paul Davenport|
|August 27, 2000||Rev. Terry L. Hammill|
|August 26, 2001||Rev. Jack L. Hileman|
|August 25, 2002||Rev. Randy L. Wall|
|August 24, 2003||Rev. Charles E. Page|
|August 22, 2004||Dr. Jeff Cook|
|August 28, 2005||Rev. Harry Queen|
|August 27, 2006||Rev. Rick Mills|
|August 26, 2007||Rev. Roxane Almond|
|August 24, 2008||Rev. Joe DeWitte|
|August 23, 2009||Rev. J. Paul Davenport|
|August 22, 2010||Cathy Newsome, Certified Lay Minister - Mt. Carmel UMC|
|August 28, 2011||Rev. Charles E. Page (150th Annual Homecoming)|
Cold Springs UMC Time Line
1830 - Travelers to Spring - Cold Springs Campground
1860 - 52 acres purchased, cost $609.50 - October 1 Two-week Camp Meetings held under Brush Arbor at Cold Springs Campground
1868 - First church was a white wooden one-room church - located where flagpole is now. (Rev. E.A. Lemmond, pastor)
1870 - 2 acres given to church for graveyard. (Rev. John Finger, pastor) - March 21
1900 - One-room Cold Springs School (where ball field is now) Tom Ridenhour, teacher. School closed 1910 and merged with another school.
1910 - White wooden church torn down to make room for a new brick one.
1910-1911 - 3,500 sq. ft. brick church built - seated 230 - first service held August 6, 1911 (Rev. N. R. Richardson, pastor)
1938 - East Wing Sunday School Classrooms built (Cost $7,000) Cornerstone laid July 31 (Rev. George W. Clay, pastor)
1951 - West Wing Sunday School Classrooms built (Rev. Clegg W. Avett, pastor)
1954 - First BBQ - October (Rev. Eugene A. Lamb, pastor)
1954 - Parsonage built - Dedicated November 4, 1956 - Cost $13,418 (Rev. Eugene A. Lamb, pastor)
1958 - Fellowship Hall built - Dedicated November 1, 1959 (Rev. Jack C. Smith, pastor)
1968 - The word “United” was added to Cold Springs Church and the Flame & Cross logo was added. - April 23 (Rev. George M Carver, pastor)
1977 - Renovation of original spring - Project of UMM (Rev. Rick W. Mills, pastor)
1978 - Picnic Shelter built behind Fellowship Hall - Spring 1978 (Rev. Rick W. Mills, pastor)
1989 - Congregation voted to build new sanctuary/office complex/classrooms - May 21 (Rev. Harry Queen, pastor)
1990 - New Boy/Girl Scout Complex built - Dedicated November 18 (Estimated value - $100,000) (Rev. Harry Queen, pastor)
1991 - Manual Kiser donated 1.16 acres to church for cemetery use - June 14 (Rev. Harry Queen, pastor)
1990-1991 - Third church built (14,200 sq. ft. - seats 478) - (Rev. Harry Queen, pastor)
June 3, 1990 - Groundbreaking
June 4, 1990 - Demolition of old church began
June 23, 1991 - First service - (Cornerstone was sealed)
August 29, 1994 - Church paid in full.
January 29, 1995 - Church dedicated, cost $1,000,000,
- mortgage was burned
First Baptism - (Sara Gainey) June 23, 1991
First Wedding - (Leslie Kluttz and Don Gray) June 23, 1991
First Funeral - (Helen Petrea Langston) July 27, 1991
1996 - Shelter at Spring built in honor of John Kimray - Dedicated October 27 (Rev. Marcus S. Portis, pastor)
2004 - Playground built - Dedicated June 6 - $25,000 (Rev. Randy L. Wall, pastor)
2006 - Plans for new Fellowship Hall approved by congregation. - April 9
2007 - Contemporary Service started April 30, 2007 (Rev. Randy L. Wall, pastor)
2007 - Pre-school opened in August (Rev. Randy Wall & Rev. Mary Hatley, pastors)
2008 - Groundbreaking for new Fellowship Hall. - August 3 (Rev. Randy L. Wall & Rev. Mary Hatley, pastors)
2009 - Consecration Sunday for Krimminger Hall - $1,300,000 - April 26 (Rev. Randy L. Wall & Rev. Mary Hatley, pastors)
2009 - Dedication - Renovation of old fellowship hall into new church offices, conference and youth rooms - December 20 - Estimated cost $22,000
- Girl Scout Gold Project of Hillary Fearrington
2010 - Cold Springs received the St. John’s Lutheran Church Grange “Rural Church of the Year” Award - April 13
2010 - Dedication - Renovation of the Girl Scout Complex - September 5
- Girl Scout Gold Project of Kelby Hurlocker
Pastors who have served Cold Springs United Methodist Church
|1867-1868||Rev. E.A. Lemmond|
|1868-1870||Rev. John Finger|
|1871||Rev. T.A. Broom|
|1872||Rev. L. Leard|
|1873||Rev. J.S. Nelson|
|1874||Rev. James T. Simpson|
|1875||Rev. M.V. Sherrill|
|1876-1880||Rev. A.D. Betts|
|1881-1883||Rev. Z. Rush|
|1884-1886||Rev. G.A. Oglesby|
|1887-1888||Rev. A.G. Grant|
|1889-1890||Rev. W. H. Hales|
|1891-1892||Rev. T.F. Sanler|
|1893||Rev. G.W. Callahan|
|1894-1895||Rev. M.D. Giles|
|1896-1897||Rev. A.E. Wiley|
|1898-1900||Rev. L.T. Cordel|
|1901-1902||Rev. C.M. Pickens|
|1903||Rev. J.F. England|
|1904-1907||Rev. T.E. Wagg|
|1907-1909||Rev. M.D. Hicks|
|1909-1911||Rev. N.R. Richardson|
|1912-1913||Rev. C.F. Sherrill|
|1914-1917||Rev. G.A. Stamper|
|1918-1920||Rev. Beverly Wilson|
|1921-1923||Rev. William Thomas Albright|
|1924-1925||Rev. M.A. Osborne|
|1926-1927||Rev. W.L. Scott|
|1928||Rev. Thomas R. Wolfe|
|1929-1931||Rev. James Samuel Gibbs, Sr. (died October 18, 1985)|
|1931-1936||Rev. H.L. Powell|
|1937-1939||Rev. George Willis Clay (died September 7, 1986)|
|1940-1943||Rev. Harlan Longstreet Creech, Jr. (First preacher on the three-point charge)|
|1943-1946||Rev. Lester S. Furr (died November 17, 1946)|
|1946-1948||Rev. J.P. Hipps (finished the remainder of conference year)|
|1948-1953||Rev. Glegg Wallace Avett (died November 24, 1976)|
|1954-1955||Rev. Eugene Andrew Lamb (died August 18, 1970)|
|1955-1959||Rev. Jack Courtney Smith (died February 10, 2000) During Rev. Smith's term, the conference year was dropped back to June instead of November) Rev. Smith was the first full-time pastor.|
|1959-1960||Rev. Russell Nettles Burson, Jr.|
|1960-1962||Rev. Charles Elbert Page|
|1962-1963||Rev. John Thurman Frazier, Jr. (died January 21, 2001)|
|1963-1965||Rev. Giles Oren Bowman, Sr.|
|1965-1968||Rev. George Maurice Carver (died November 22, 1995)|
|1968-1972||Rev. Woodrow Wilson Pryor (died January 16, 2005)|
|1972-1976||Rev. Charles Marvin Boggs (died June 9, 2001)|
|1976-1981||Rev. Rickie (Rick) Wayne Mills|
|1981-1984||Rev. John Paul Davenport|
|1984-1991||Rev. Harry Queen|
|1991-1995||Rev. Mack Monroe Armstrong (died July 25, 1999)|
|1995-1997||Rev. Marcus Steven Portis|
|1997-2001||Rev. William (Bill) Frederick Gerhardt|
|2001-2002||Rev. Jack Lindsey Hileman|
|2002-2010||Rev. Randy Lee Wall|
|2005 - present||Rev. Mary Hatley, Associate Pastor|
|2010 - present||Rev. Johnny O'Neill Haynes|
Prior to 1955, Cold Springs’ pastors also served other Methodist congregations in the area because many churches could not afford a full time pastor. Cold Springs became a station church at the 1955 Annual Conference.
Over the years, the Lord has sent many faithful and gifted pastors to carry on the visions of Cold Springs United Methodist Church. This church has been blessed with dedicated pastors who are passionate about sharing God’s love, each offering his/her own unique approach to worship and administration, but each seeking to add value and strength to the congregation.
Photos of many former pastors, and their years of service, are located in a Pastor’s Album in The History Room.